Sunday, May 17, 2009

Plein air pleasure

Gouache is a great medium for quick outdoor sketches. It takes less time to pack your stuff and start painting than oils, but gouache gives you the same possibility to start with transparent layers, and then move to opaque painting.

Arne let me know he went outside yesterday to paint ( see his and my outdoor sketches here ). I felt I could not stay behind, so even though the weather was rainy, I took my sketchbook and went outside for some serious sketching...
I had to be quick this time, because it started to rain soon after I started painting. Because of that I had to make desicions really fast, and focus mainly on the basics of the composition. I would have liked to stay and add a little more detail here and there, but because of the rain I had to quit.

This is Arne and I painting last sunday in 'de Hoeksche Waard' .

No comments: